The Search for the Holy Grail of Athletic Performance Fabric
Most, almost all, of performance apparel is built with Polyester fabric, in a variety of blends of course; thereafter subjected to a host of chemical treatments. Of these, two have led the trend brigade, one that makes it wick moisture and the other that makes it odour free. Most recognisable apparel brands have trademarked some variation of each of these two; resultant of which, all we find in a sporting apparel hunt is tons of synthetic fabric.
While synthetic fabrics do offer benefits of durability and cost; the branding add-ons - adding overlays like mesh panels (also made of polyester) take away from that cost benefit! Don't we all feel our credit cards bleed for that "right" dryfit or dri fit or wonder dry or super dry Tee.
Cotton is a great natural material, but it falls miserably short in the moisture wicking department and is not as light as athletes would prefer.
Here’s a Fun fact – per kg of fabric, polyester is cheaper than cotton. This however, does not reflect in price tags of “performance” athletic wear.
Along that elusive hunt, we thought to ourselves - there must be something out there that is natural, yet offers what sportswear needs, and doesn’t subject us to all these chemical treatments.
Lo and behold, the answer existed in not too far off lands. Bamboo!
South East Asian countries like Thailand and Indonesia have been using bamboo for centuries to make a variety of things including clothing. Sounds a bit strange, doesn’t it – visualizing this Feng Shui icon woven into a T-shirt you can actually wear.
What bamboo fabric offers is a host of traits that makes it ideal for active wear:
- Incredibly Soft - One of the softest fabrics on the planet, you'll love the way it feels on your skin and falls on your frame. For good measure we add covered seam stitch, perfect to ensure that there is no chaffing during your movements.
- Stretch - 100% bamboo yarn show a great elasticity, nearly 20%. This remarkable natural elasticity means the use of fibres like elastane can be eliminated.
- Moisture Management – the cross-section of the bamboo fibre is filled with various micro-gaps and micro-holes, it has much better moisture absorption and ventilation, making it twice as absorbent as cotton.
- Breathable and Thermo-regulating – bamboo fibre can absorb and evaporate human sweat in a split of second just like breathing & helps wick moisture away from the skin
Your T will be drenched at the end of a long run, which means your skin will be dry; and the super light fabric won’t weigh down on you.
- Hypoallergenic - The eco-friendly bamboo fibres do not irritate the skin. Gentler than many manmade fibres, bamboo is a natural solution for those with sensitive skin.
- Naturally UV protective -– Protect you and your loved ones from the sun’s rays in comfort.
- Biodegradable – A greener material that will simply return to the Earth.
Give Bamboo a try….. It’s good for you and helps do your bit towards a sustainable environment!
Check out BRAV's new range of Bamboo T Shirts here